Ads 468x60px

Dessert

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Siew Mai (Steamed Chicken Dumplings)

.
Marsya Dearie,

You know how much I love dim sum & I know you like it too (tho not as much . I blame it on those Chinese blood that runs through my veins which makes me adore Chinese food so much.

For your info, Dim Sum is a Cantonese term for a type of Chinese meal that involves small individual portions of food. There are various types of foods included in a Dim Sum meals such as char siew pau (steamed buns), dumplings, cheong fun (rice noodles rolls) etc. Among all, siew mai (steamed chicken dumplings) has been my all time favourite.

Finding a halal dim sum in town is not as easy as looking for a nasi lemak or capati. I've tried buying the frozen ones at the supermarket but the taste are so disappointing...... or it might just be my taste bud which has becoming pickier & pickier these days ~ sigh ~

After googling a few recipes on Siew Mai & comparing each & every one of them, I've come up with my own recipe for this favourite dish of mine. In one of those recipes, water chestnut is one of the ingredients & I thought of adding it too but unfortunately I couldnt find it at the supermarket. Maybe some other time then.

Nevertheless, I'm not trying to boast here but this Siew Mai was the best chicken dumplings I've ever tasted. I admit that the preparation was a bit tedious but the satisfaction is simply priceless !

Photobucket

Siew Mai
Source : Belle du Chef



Ingredients

200 gm minced chicken
200 gm prawns, minced
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp chicken stock granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 pcs black mushroom, soaked & finely chopped
4 stalks spring onion (white part only), finely chopped
2 tbsp tapioca flour
Shredded carrots
Wonton skins


How To

1. Mixed all ingredients (except for wonton skin & carrots) together.

2. Set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes.

3. Trim wanton wrappers into round shape and wrap some filling in it.

4. Place a tablespoon of filling on each wrapper, gather up the sides and leave the center open.

5. Garnish the top with some shredded carrot.

6. Steam at high heat for about 10 mins.

7. Serve hot either on its own or with chilli sauce.




0 comments:

Post a Comment