Ads 468x60px

Dessert

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pau of Sorrows

.
So why is the dish named that way? And what's with the sorrow thingy? The truth is, that's how I felt while preparing the pau.....huhuhu. I was browsing the net just before I decided to make these pau which brought me to a website of a mixed ( Malay + Caucasian ) couple. I was reading & reading & boy, this is one perfect couple, I said to myself.

The husband is so damn good looking , the kids are really gorgeous and she's just one plain Jane, to be honest. Yet, he loved her so very much ~ big sigh ~ Well, that's all I could do - sigh, sigh & continue sighing. I am very happy for the whole family while at the same time feeling tremendously envious with a dash of blue. Again.....sighing the longest sigh.

Anyway, back to my pau story. You didnt like it - it's hard, you said....huhuhu. C'mon, pau are best eaten warm. Of course it's hard coz it's already cold, my dear ( ayat cover line ni .....hehehe ). Anyway, for a first timer like me, I consider my pau a success, regardless of what my personal food critic says. Period.


Photobucket

Beef & Black Beans Pau
Source : Jane Chew




Ingredients A

300 gm Pau flour
150 gm fresh milk
50 gm castor sugar
1 1/2 tbsp shortening
1 tsp yeast
A pinch of salt


Ingredients B

1 tsp double acting baking powder
1 tbsp water


How To

1. Mix all ingredients A & knead for 8 - 10 mins till dough is smooth.

2. Cover with a piece of wet cloth & leave to prove until it has doubled in size.

3. Mix (b) together & pour into dough & knead well till it is smooth again.

4. Cover & allow dough to rest for another 15 mins before shaping.

5. Divide dough into 16 portions, around 36 gm each.

6. Wrap in fillings & seal tightly. ( I've made the red beans & beef fillings )

7. Place on a baking paper & arrange into steaming tray.


The green dots denotes the filling which in this case is Red Bean


8. Prove for another 30 mins before steaming.

9. Steam at high flame for 10 mins. Allow a small gap by lifting the lid after steaming for 5 mins.

10. Turn off heat & let it sit undisturbed for another 3 - 5 mins.

11. Serve hot.


My beef pau -ready to be frozen


0 comments:

Post a Comment